Did you know?…

While Social Security Disability and Department of Veterans Affairs are both federal agencies, they have different rules to determine disability. You do NOT have to be 100% disabled through the VA to potentially qualify for Social Security!

You may be entitled to compensation
that you are not collecting.

  1. Social Security Disability and VA also have different rules regarding working while disabled.
  2. There are two Social Security Disability programs (Social Security Disability Insurance [DIB], Supplemental Security Income [SSI]); just like there are two VA Disability programs service connected, non-service connected).
  3. You can receive both VA Service-Connected Disability benefits and SSDI.
  4. If you are receiving VA Non-Service Connected Disability, these will be offset by DIB benefits you are awarded.
  5. You need a copy of your DD 214 (discharge papers) for your Social Security Disability application.
  6. If you are at least 60% disabled through the VA you can ask for an “employability” evaluation and we recommend that you do so.

Kent County Department of Veterans Affairs

The Kent County Veterans Affairs Department provides information, referrals, and support services to honorably discharged, wartime veterans and their families.

Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA)

The Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency provides services and connections to services for Veterans in the areas of Healthcare, Education, Employment, and Quality of Life.

My HealtheVet

My HealtheVet is VA’s online personal health record. It was designed for Veterans, active duty servicemembers, their dependents and caregivers. My HealtheVet helps you partner with your health care team. It provides you opportunities and tools to make informed decisions and manage your health care